UMM Logo

Universitas Muhammadiyah Malang


Free Download Journals Directory


Nature and Science

.: Home > Nature and Science > 2012 > Volume 10 Number 9 > Okonko IO1, Adejuwon OA2, Okerentugba PO1 and Innocent-Adiele HC1

Circulating Plasmodium falciparum and HIV 1/2 as Co-infections among Blood Donors in Ibadan, Southwestern Nigeria

Okonko IO1, Adejuwon OA2, Okerentugba PO1 and Innocent-Adiele HC1
1Medical Microbiology Unit, Department of Microbiology, University of Port Harcourt, P.M.B. 5323 Uniport Post Office, Choba, East-West Road, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria; 2Department of Microbiology, Lead City University, Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria; mac2finney@yahoo.com, iheanyi.okonko@uniport.edu.ng; Tel.: +234 803 538 0891
Abstract :

 Blood serves as a vehicle for transmission of blood-borne pathogens including hemoparasities. In Nigeria, screening of blood for blood-borne pathogens does not fulfill the standard protocols and screening for malaria parasites is not practiced. Determination of the prevalence of circulating Plasmodium falciparum and HIV as co-infections in a population in general, and blood-donors in particular will certainly help in reviewing the screening procedures and making health policy decisions. In view of the problem of transfusional malaria, the prevalence of malaria Plasmodium in consenting blood donors was assessed. Whole blood was used for the diagnosis of P. falciparum malaria using Malaria P. falciparum Rapid Test Device. The screening for HIV antibodies was carried out using Chembio HIV-1/2 Stat-Pak® and Abbott Determine HIV-1/2® test. All tests were done according to the manufacturers’ specifications. Overall prevalence rate of asymptomatic P. falciparum malaria was 17.5% (n=35) and HIV as co-infection was 22.9% (n=8), while the remaining 27(77.1%) had no HIV. The study showed no significant difference between malaria infection either for age groups (17.8% vs 16.6%, P>0.05) or sexes (16.6% vs 22.6%, P >0.05). However, it showed a significantly higher prevalence of HIV as co-infection among blood donors within ages less than 40 years than their counterparts in age groups 40 years and above (29.6% vs. 0.0%; P = 0.001). It also showed a significantly higher prevalence of HIV as co-infection among female donors than males (42.9% vs. 17.9%; P = 0.001).This study however confirmed the presence of P. falciparum malaria infection and HIV as co-infection among blood donors in Ibadan, Nigeria. This could be attributed to lack of adequate accommodation and poor sanitary conditions in the area under study. General surveillance and public health education to stop the spread of the infection among blood donors in Ibadan and indeed the whole society is advocated.

Keywords :
Antibody, HIV/malaria co-infection, seropositivity, blood donors, Plasmodium, prevalence, transfusional malaria

Date Deposited : 18 May 2016 19:39

Last Modified : 18 May 2016 19:39

Official URL: http://www.sciencepub.net/nature/

Volume 10, Number 9, - 2012 , ISSN 1545-0740

Download:
Full Text Original
Abstract : pdf doc